After starting the season 3-0, we have dropped 3 in a row to bring our record to 3-3 entering the Christmas Break. We have played really good basketball for portions of every game (possibly excluding Grand Rapids) but just haven’t been able to put together 36 minutes. This week we hosted Pine City and traveled to Irondale. Below you will find recaps of both:
Tuesday vs Pine City–Loss 71-81
Looking at the numbers from the Pine City game, it looks like we could have come out on top, but just weren’t able to make enough plays in the second half. We were able to outscore the Dragons 39-21 from the 3 point line (which is a strength of Pine) but weren’t able to contain some drives to the basket. We have to get much better guarding the basketball! The biggest stat of the game was that we were only able to turn over the Dragons 9 times. This has been a strength of ours all season, but credit PC for handling our pressure.
We had 5 players in double figures with Drew VanEerden leading the way at 15, Logan Murphy added 13 pts, 3 rebounds, and 4 assists, Carson Klein added 12 points and 3 assists, Carter Whitman had 11 points 7 rebounds, and 3 assits, and Trevor Johnson added 10 points.
Thursday vs Irondale Loss 59-76
This was a story of two halves. We came out and played the best half of basketball we have played all year in the first half but we didn’t adjust to some of the adjustments that Irondale made in the second half. We came out with an extremely small starting lineup of Carter Whitman, Carson Klein, Andrew Thauwald, Logan Murphy, and Drew VanEerden…losing size due to injury and sickness. We battled the much bigger Irondale Knights to take a 40-37 lead into the half but just couldn’t get into a flow in the second half.
As a coaching staff, we have to figure out a way to compete with teams that are bigger than us…Irondale beat us on the glass 41-17 and points in the paint (58-8!!!!!) We typically get more shots than our opponent, but against Irondale we had 38 compared to their 64.
Carter Whitman continues his solid Senior season contributing 14 points and 3 rebounds. Trevor Johnson, despite being sick and hurt contributed 18 points and 3 rebounds, and Logan Murphy has emerged as one of our most consistent players adding 13 points.
RANDOM STATS AT THE BREAK
- We have 5 guys averaging at least 8.7 points/game: Sr Carter Whitman (12.3), Sr Drew VanEerden (11.4), Soph Logan Murphy (10.7), Soph Trevor Johnson (10.7), and Fr Carson Klein (8.7)
- We are averaging 69.3 points per game, up from 55.9 last year. Main reason for that is our increase in pace (up almost 10 possessions/game)
- 5 of our 6 games we have made at least 11 3 point shots. We only made 11 twice last year. Our guys are doing great taking shots when they are there.
- We are forcing 19.7 turnovers/game…thanks in large part to our press. This is up from 13.3 last year. We are also taking care of the ball slightly better this year (15 TO/game compared to 16.9 LY)
- 58.8% of our points have been scored by Freshman and Sophomores. We knew that we would be solid with seniors Carter Whitman and Drew VanEerden but it was whether our young guys could adjust quickly. I think the young guys have been very solid so far.
- Carter Whitman has moved into 21st all time in assists at North Branch, Drew is currently 24th all time in steals and 13th in 3 pointers made.
We host Kasson-Mantorville on Friday, December 27th and would love for everyone to come out and support us. JV is at the MS at 5:45 with Varsity following at 7:15.